The Society was founded in October 1968 as a result of the widespread interest in
the community's historical heritage created by the town's centennial observance.
It has achieved several major accomplishments.
In 1969, Arthur and Ruth Knapp gave the Society the small dwelling of Reuben
Whitten, whose charity saved his neighbors from hardship and starvation in the
Cold Year of 1816. In 1970, the Society persuaded the voters of Ashland to
accept Dr. George Hoyt Whipple's gift of the Whipple House. The Reuben Whitten
House was moved to the Whipple House grounds, where it has been partly restored.
The Society voted to accept the Ashland Railroad Station from Mrs. Vera Curley
in 1979 and the Glidden Toy Museum from Mrs. Pauline E. Glidden in 1989.
The Society has also raised funds for the construction of the Squam River
Covered Bridge and the restoration of the Civil War Monument. During the spring,
summer and fall, the Society sponsors programs on local, regional and state,
regional and state history, as well as special events. All programs are open to
the public free of charge.
Gifts and loans of historical items pertaining to Ashland, the Squam Lakes area,
New Hampshire, or railroads will be gratefully accepted and cared for by the
Society if found appropriate for the collections.